Preventative Dentistry | Woodshore Family Dentistry
Preventative Dentistry includes various professional dental services that help you maintain oral health and avoid diseases. Please continue reading about the preventative dentistry services at Woodshore Family Dentistry.
As the name suggests, preventative dentistry is all about services that help you avoid diseases. Our teeth are fairly vulnerable to bacterial infections, dental decay, cavities, gum disease, and other issues. That’s why it’s especially important to take care of them. The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends that you should visit the dentist for preventative dentistry services at least once every few months. Some of the most popular preventative dentistry treatments include dental cleaning, scaling and polishing, and general dental checkup. Please continue reading for a detailed overview of preventative dentistry services at Woodshore Family Dentistry.
Oral Health and Preventive Dentistry
Basic personal oral hygiene requires you to brush your teeth twice a day, floss after every meal or at least once a day, and rinse your mouth with a fluoride solution once a day. These are crucial oral health habits, but you also need to go for regular dental checkups. Regardless of how well you may brush your teeth, you’ll still have food particles stuck in hard-to-reach areas. These food particles eventually turn into plaque, which is a white sticky substance on the surface of your teeth. The plaque eventually hardens into tartar. Both plaque and tartar lead to bacterial infection and decay, which can lead to cavities and gum disease. In order to avoid the accumulation of plaque and tartar, you need to go for regular dental clinic visits. The following are some of the ora
Scaling & Polishing
Scaling and polishing is a simple procedure in which the dental hygienist examines your teeth to make sure you don’t have any cavities or gum disease, before proceeding to thoroughly clean your mouth.
- The dental hygienist uses a scalar device to remove all of the accumulated plaque and tartar from your teeth. This device allows the dentist to remove all of the plaque that you can’t reach or remove on your own.
- If the dental hygienist finds any evidence of gum disease, cavities, or other dental issues, then they’ll schedule x-ray scans. This will help them identify early signs of any disease so they can be treated immediately.
- The dental hygienist will brush your teeth with an abrasive toothpaste. This will scrubs the surface of your teeth, your enamel, to remove surface stains. They’ll also floss your teeth so there are no food particles left between your teeth.
- You’ll be given a fluoride solution. You have to rinse your mouth with this antibacterial mouthwash to get rid of all the bacteria in your mouth.
- The dental hygienist will finally apply a fluoride gel over your teeth and ask you to wear a mouthguard that will keep the gel in place and prevent saliva from diluting it. You’ll have to rinse your mouth again after a while. This step will protect your teeth from bacteria for the next couple of months until your next dental checkup.
Oral Sedation for Kids and Adults
Some preventative dentistry treatments may be a little uncomfortable. Furthermore, even if the procedure itself isn’t painful, some kids and adults are still afraid of dental work. But successful preventive dentistry requires them to remain very still, which is why we also provide oral sedation for kids and adults so we can provide the safest and most painless treatment possible.
We provide the following types of oral sedation for kids and adults.
- Nitrous Oxide: Also known as the “giggle gas”, you simply breathe it in along with some oxygen. While it doesn’t put you to sleep, it can help you relax.
- Mild Sedation: These are certain medications that allow you to calm down even as you’re awake and responsive to what the dentist asks.
- Moderate Sedation: This will make children feel pretty sleepy but adults will likely remain awake through the procedure. It will, however, make both children and adults feel extremely calm and they’ll still have the ability to do what the dentist asks. Children may not remember the dental session later.
- Deep Sedation: This is a type of sedation in which intravenous medicines are provided to help you sleep completely.
- General Anesthesia: This is a non-invasive method to put children and adults in a deep sleep so that the procedure is painless to them.
Once the aforementioned procedures are done, the dental hygienist will discuss your oral hygiene habits. During this consultation, the dental hygienist will instruct you on the correct methods to brush and floss your teeth. They’ll give you the following information:
- Which toothbrush and toothpaste you should be using.
- How to rinse your mouth and which antibacterial mouthwash to use.
- The best method for flossing and how you should do it.
- The frequency of your dental cleaning sessions.
- In some cases, the dental hygienist may also recommend some preventive dentistry treatments to protect your teeth for the future. If you’ve recently had a root canal done, for example, the dental hygienist may recommend getting a dental crown to protect the weakened tooth from damage.
Benefits of Preventive Dentistry
Preventive dentistry is useful and necessary for everyone, but especially for children. Children have weak baby teeth and they suffer from a lot of complications during their transition into adult teeth, which is why preventive dentistry is especially necessary for them. These are some of the benefits of preventative dentistry:
- You don’t suffer from issues like cavities and gum disease because it keeps your mouth free from bacteria, plaque, and tartar.
- If there are some weaknesses in your teeth, the dental hygienist will detect them and recommend measures to strengthen your teeth, such as through dental crowns.
- By preventing bacterial infection, you can also prevent other secondary diseases like diabetes, osteoporosis, respiratory issues, cancer, etc. You can’t completely prevent them only by observing oral hygiene, but you can limit their likelihood.
- It also helps with a smooth pregnancy and minimizes the chance of premature birth.
This place is great! Everyone is so kind and very professional. The dentist is awesome also. He takes the time to listen and gives you all the options with no pressure. They are also great with kids here. My 10 and 3 year old also do well when they come here. I highly recommend this place for anyone who wants great care for their teeth.
The entire office is very friendly. They go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. I really appreciated the extra time each Doctor took to review my medical history. Very gentle, kind and confident dental care.
I can’t say enough about my experience at this dental office! The entire staff was very friendly, from the second I walked in to the time I walked out. The doctor took the time to explain all that was going on, and he was very gentle in his approach which is what I like. Highly recommend this place!
Me and my wife had been looking for a new dentist and we finally found them. This group of people are great. Extremely courteous and good at what they do. I couldn’t be more pleased with our new dentists and would highly recommend them to anyone.
The staff was so friendly and helpful. You can tell they really care about their patients and love what they do. They all made the experience really easy & comfortable. Highly recommend!
Hadn’t been to the dentist in 3 years because I just didn’t like it… tried this one out. Very kind and professional staff, friendly, outgoing, made me feel welcome. Definitely would recommend this dentist
The office is very clean and my daughter loved the tv in the ceiling to watch while her work was being done. Thanks again to the staff and doctor for making her feel comfortable.
Great customer service from check in to check out! It was my daughter’s first dental appointment and the staff made her very comfortable!
The staff was very welcoming and friendly! Dr. Pattni explained my plan thoroughly and made sure I was comfortable during my treatment which I really appreciated. They also perform orthodontic work at affordable prices which is great because now I only have to go to one office for all of my dental needs. Not to mention the decor, ambiance, and state-of-the-art equipment is truly exceptional! Will definitely be coming back!
FAQs About Preventative Dentistry
What are the various tips regarding preventive dentistry?
Preventive dentistry mostly consists of a few oral hygiene habits — brushing and flossing regularly, rinsing your mouth, eating a nutritious diet, and regularly gong for preventative dentistry checkups.
What kind of treatment is provided by preventive dentistry?
The most popular preventive dentistry treatment is scaling and polishing, during which the dental hygienist thoroughly cleans your mouth and removes all accumulated plaque and tartar.
What can I do about my receding gums?
Root planing is generally the recommended treatment for those who are suffering from receding gums. This is a procedure in which the dentist smoothens the roots of your tooth so they can be reattached to your gums. It also helps treat periodontitis.
Dentistry Preventive Care
Woodshore Family Dentistry is the best preventative dentistry clinic for your entire family. We thoroughly examine your teeth and make sure that you don’t suffer from any dental issues. We are also a pediatric dentistry so we know how to make your children feel comfortable. For more information about preventive dentistry care, please schedule an appointment right now.