Ridge Preservation | Woodshore Family Dentistry
Ridge Preservation or ridge augmentation is a procedure in which the dentist uses grafting material to prevent bone loss and to protect the ridge. Please continue reading for a detailed discussion of the bone replacement graft ridge preservation procedure.
Ridge Preservation or Ridge Augmentation is a procedure in which the dentist uses a bone replacement graft for ridge preservation. When you lose your teeth, or when you have to get dental extraction done because of some dental disease, there’s a small unprotected ridge or socket left behind. Over time, due to the missing tooth, this ridge becomes sensitive and you also lose bone structure in the location of the missing tooth. Ridge preservation uses bone grafting material to prevent bone loss and to protect the ridge. Please continue reading for a detailed discussion of the bone replacement graft ridge preservation procedure.
What is Ridge Augmentation?
Ridge augmentation is a procedure in which the dentist uses grafting material that’s taken from external sources (animal parts, other humans, the individual’s body, or synthetic materials)to protect the empty socket of the missing tooth and prevent bone loss. That’s why this procedure is also known as dental socket preservation.a
Is Bone Graft Necessary after a Tooth Extraction.?
Bone graft is not necessary after a tooth extraction. In fact, many people don’t get ridge preservation after tooth extraction. But it’s still extremely beneficial and highly recommended.
There are a number of reasons why you may need bone graft ridge preservation after tooth extraction. The following are some of the most important reasons.
- Dry Socket: Dry socket is a condition in which the empty socket left after the tooth extraction becomes extremely sensitive. This is because the socket is only protected by a blood clot after the extraction. When the blood clot comes undone, it can expose the nerves lying underneath the socket, which makes you extremely sensitive to external environmental conditions. This is dry socket and it can be extremely painful. Ridge preservation can protect your socket and prevent dry socket.
- Bone Preservation: The root of your tooth is surrounded by a bone known as the alveolar ridge. This bone isn’t necessary but it’s important if you want to get dental implants later because the metallic post will have to be inserted into the ridge to support the dental crown or bridge. However, when you lose your teeth, this bone gradually starts eroding and it gets to such a point that you don’t have sufficient bone structure for the dental implants. With ridge augmentation, you can ensure that your bone structure remains intact even if you’re missing a tooth. As such, you’ll have the option to get dental implants later if you’re interested.
- Aesthetic Preservation: When you lose one of your teeth, the surrounding teeth start drifting away and get misaligned, which can ruin the cosmetic appearance. Ridge preservation and dental implants can keep your teeth in place and enhance your cosmetic appearance.
Ridge Augmentation Procedure
Your bone continues growing because of chewing movements provided by the tooth. So when you lose your tooth, your bone stops growing and starts degenerating. In a single year, you can lose about 25% of your bone structure. That’s why the ridge augmentation procedure is done as soon as tooth extraction is complete so your bone can be preserved.
The following are the primary steps involved in the ridge preservation procedure:
- After examining the ridge and the empty socket, the dentist will discuss your grafting material options. You can go for a grafting material from another part of your body, from another individual, from an animal part, or from synthetic materials. The dentist will discuss them with you in detail.
- The dentist will create an incision on your exposed socket and place the grafting material along with the underlying ridge. They’ll also cover it with collagen to facilitate healing.
- Finally, the dentist will suture up the incision so that your wound can heal. The grafting material will ensure that there’s no bone loss.
What to do with an Exposed Socket after Tooth Extraction?
After the tooth extraction procedure, you need to be careful with your exposed socket. The following tips will help you take care of them.
- Avoid brushing your teeth for a day or two after the tooth extraction as it may lead to dry socket by removing the blood clot.
- Avoid cigarettes and drinking from straws for a few days.
- Only consume soft food items because hard ones can remove the blood clot.
What are the Advantages of Bone Grafting?
The following are some of the main advantages of bone grafting:
- If you get a bone graft immediately after removing your teeth, you can preserve the alveolar ridge and prevent bone loss.
- If you’ve already suffered from bone loss, then a bone grafting procedure can help with bone regeneration.
- Bone grafting allows you to preserve or restore your bone structure, which, in turn, allows you to get dental implants, which is the best replacement for missing teeth. Dental implants are metal posts or frameworks that are inserted into your jawbones so they become a part of your body and then dental crowns or bridges are attached over the implant. As such, bone grafting helps you replace your missing teeth perfectly.
This place is great! Everyone is so kind and very professional. The dentist is awesome also. He takes the time to listen and gives you all the options with no pressure. They are also great with kids here. My 10 and 3 year old also do well when they come here. I highly recommend this place for anyone who wants great care for their teeth.
The entire office is very friendly. They go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. I really appreciated the extra time each Doctor took to review my medical history. Very gentle, kind and confident dental care.
I can’t say enough about my experience at this dental office! The entire staff was very friendly, from the second I walked in to the time I walked out. The doctor took the time to explain all that was going on, and he was very gentle in his approach which is what I like. Highly recommend this place!
Me and my wife had been looking for a new dentist and we finally found them. This group of people are great. Extremely courteous and good at what they do. I couldn’t be more pleased with our new dentists and would highly recommend them to anyone.
The staff was so friendly and helpful. You can tell they really care about their patients and love what they do. They all made the experience really easy & comfortable. Highly recommend!
Hadn’t been to the dentist in 3 years because I just didn’t like it… tried this one out. Very kind and professional staff, friendly, outgoing, made me feel welcome. Definitely would recommend this dentist
The office is very clean and my daughter loved the tv in the ceiling to watch while her work was being done. Thanks again to the staff and doctor for making her feel comfortable.
Great customer service from check in to check out! It was my daughter’s first dental appointment and the staff made her very comfortable!
The staff was very welcoming and friendly! Dr. Pattni explained my plan thoroughly and made sure I was comfortable during my treatment which I really appreciated. They also perform orthodontic work at affordable prices which is great because now I only have to go to one office for all of my dental needs. Not to mention the decor, ambiance, and state-of-the-art equipment is truly exceptional! Will definitely be coming back!
Schedule your Ridge Preservation Appointment
At Woodshore Family Dentistry, we examine your teeth perfectly and use the most effective methods and bone grafting material to preserve the bone of your missing tooth. This prevents you from getting dry sockets and it also ensures that you have the option to get dental implants later without any complications. For more information, please schedule your ridge preservation appointment today.