Dental Veneers | Woodshore Family Dentistry
Are your teeth discolored, crooked, broken, chipped, or uneven? Do you generally dislike the appearance of your teeth? In this article, we discuss how beautiful dental veneers can give you a smile makeover.
Are your teeth discolored, crooked, broken, chipped, or uneven? Do you generally dislike the appearance of your teeth? Do you keep yourself from smiling because you don’t like how your teeth look? If you said yes to any of those questions, then you can easily resolve your troubles with dental veneers. Please continue reading to find out what dental veneers are and how they can help you.
Types of Dental Veneers
Dental veneers may be made of one of two materials — porcelain or composite resin. Both of them come with their unique sets of advantages and disadvantages.
Porcelain Dental Veneers
Porcelain dental veneers are shells made of porcelain. The following are the primary qualities of porcelain dental veneers:
- They’re extremely strong and last long.
- They look and feel just like natural teeth.
- The dentist doesn’t need to remove too much of your tooth enamel — as would be necessary for a dental crown.
- Dental veneers are stain-resistant so they remain white longer.
Composite Resin Dental Veneers
Composite resin dental veneers are shells made of composite resin attached to the front of your teeth. They have the following qualities:
- Composite resin dental veneers even require less enamel removed than porcelain dental veneers.
- Most composite resin veneers can be attached in a single session.
- They’re inexpensive.
- Composite resin dental veneers aren’t nearly as strong as porcelain veneers, but they’re a lot easier to fix if they get damaged.
How to Get Beautiful Dental Veneers?
In most cases, it takes three different sessions to apply beautiful dental veneers. The following is a brief overview of all the steps you’ll need to go through to get dental veneers.
- Diagnosis: During the first visit, you need to carefully explain why you need dental veneers and what you’re trying to achieve. The dentist will examine your teeth, perhaps using an X-ray scan and determine if dental veneers are the correct option for you. If you’re suitable for dental veneers, the dentist will also take impressions of your teeth in order to prepare a set of veneers.
- Preparation: In order to attach the dental veneers, some of the enamel will have to be shaved off your teeth. The dentist will shave around 1/2 millimeter of enamel from your teeth — which corresponds to the thickness of the dental veneer. This may be done under anesthetic influence so you don’t feel any pain or discomfort. The dentist will also take impressions of your teeth and send them to the laboratory where they will create the perfect dental veneers over a course of 2-4 weeks. In some cases, the dentist may give you the best temporary dental veneers to wear while your dental veneers are prepared.
- Bonding: Once the dental veneer is prepared, the dentist will temporarily place it on your teeth to make sure that it fits properly and is the right shade and length. If necessary, the dentist will modify and trim the veneer while adjusting it to your teeth. In order to apply the dental veneer to your teeth, the dentist will clean, polish, and etch your teeth in order to facilitate the bonding process. A special type of cement will be applied to your teeth and the veneer will be attached to it. Finally, the dentist will remove all surplus cement and make final adjustments.
Advantage of Dental Veneers
The following are the primary advantages of dental veneers:
- You may have stained teeth because of years of drinking coffee, tea, or red wine. Sometimes, teeth whitening procedures don’t work because the discoloration goes beyond the surface. In those cases, dental veneers are the best way to restore the whiteness of your teeth. Furthermore, dental veneers are stain-resistant so your teeth remain white.
- Dental veneers are the best way to treat cosmetic problems like chipped or broken teeth, misalignment of teeth, etc.
- Enamel, once lost, doesn’t return. And regardless of how strong enamel are, they can wear away over time. In those cases, dental veneers are the best way to replace the lost enamel.
Disadvantage of Dental Veneers
The following are the main disadvantages of dental veneers:
- They can be pretty expensive, costing over $1,000 for a single dental veneer.
- Dental veneers may render your teeth sensitive to hot or cold temperatures.
- Your dentist will need to remove some of your enamel in order to fit the dental veneers, making it a permanent procedure.
This place is great! Everyone is so kind and very professional. The dentist is awesome also. He takes the time to listen and gives you all the options with no pressure. They are also great with kids here. My 10 and 3 year old also do well when they come here. I highly recommend this place for anyone who wants great care for their teeth.
The entire office is very friendly. They go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. I really appreciated the extra time each Doctor took to review my medical history. Very gentle, kind and confident dental care.
I can’t say enough about my experience at this dental office! The entire staff was very friendly, from the second I walked in to the time I walked out. The doctor took the time to explain all that was going on, and he was very gentle in his approach which is what I like. Highly recommend this place!
Me and my wife had been looking for a new dentist and we finally found them. This group of people are great. Extremely courteous and good at what they do. I couldn’t be more pleased with our new dentists and would highly recommend them to anyone.
The staff was so friendly and helpful. You can tell they really care about their patients and love what they do. They all made the experience really easy & comfortable. Highly recommend!
Hadn’t been to the dentist in 3 years because I just didn’t like it… tried this one out. Very kind and professional staff, friendly, outgoing, made me feel welcome. Definitely would recommend this dentist
The office is very clean and my daughter loved the tv in the ceiling to watch while her work was being done. Thanks again to the staff and doctor for making her feel comfortable.
Great customer service from check in to check out! It was my daughter’s first dental appointment and the staff made her very comfortable!
The staff was very welcoming and friendly! Dr. Pattni explained my plan thoroughly and made sure I was comfortable during my treatment which I really appreciated. They also perform orthodontic work at affordable prices which is great because now I only have to go to one office for all of my dental needs. Not to mention the decor, ambiance, and state-of-the-art equipment is truly exceptional! Will definitely be coming back!
FAQs About Dental Veneers
What are teeth veneers?
Teeth veneers are thin covers applied to the front of your teeth to enhance their cosmetic appearance.
What can a cosmetic dentist do?
A cosmetic dentist can enhance the cosmetic appearance of your teeth, be it stained teeth, chipped and broken teeth, gaps between the teeth, etc.
How much do dental veneers cost?
According to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, a single dental veneer costs — on average — $1,313.
How can crooked teeth be fixed with veneers?
The crooked teeth can’t be fixed with dental veneers. But the veneers can cover up the crooked teeth so that it gives the outward appearance of a whole and perfectly aligned teeth.
Can you have veneers without removing enemal?
Removing the enamel is necessary for dental veneers because that’s the only way your veneers will fit in place.
How do dentists put on porcelain veneers?
Dentists put on porcelain veneers by shaving off some of the enamel from your teeth, taking your impressions, and crafting a set of dental veneers that perfectly resemble your teeth.
What are some tips of dental implants and dental veneers?
When you get dental implants and dental veneers, it’s important to be sure that your teeth are in a healthy state and that there are no diseases. You should also be careful about eating hard food items immediately after the procedure.
What are the differences between Lumineers and veneers?
Lumineers are also dental veneers but they’re extremely thin and can be placed over your original teeth without the need for any shaving or restructuring of your teeth. This makes Lumineers a reversible process.