Osseous Surgery | Woodshore Family Dentistry
Osseous surgery is the only suitable periodontal procedure if your gum infection has spread below the gum line and into your bones. Please continue reading for an overview of osseous surgery.
Do you have advanced periodontitis that has spread into your gums and bone? If so, you can’t treat periodontitis with a regular dental deep cleaning procedure. If you consult a dentist about your periodontitis when it’s still early, you can treat it with a simple scaling and root planing procedure. But if the gum infection spreads to your bones, you have to go for a more invasive periodontal procedure or gum surgery, which is where osseous surgery comes in. Please continue reading for an overview of osseous surgery.
What to Expect after Osseous Periodontal Procedure?
These are some of the things you can expect after the osseous periodontal procedure.
- First, the dentist will place a gauze over the incised spot in your gums to stop the bleeding and help the wound heal. You’ll have to change the gauze regularly for as long as the bleeding continues.
- You will have to rinse your mouth regularly with warm salt water. You’ll also be instructed to apply cold compresses on your cheeks — this will help with the swelling.
- After the anesthesia wears off, you’ll experience considerable pain. The doctor will prescribe some over-the-counter medications and painkillers to help manage the pain. You should only take the necessary dosage as prescribed by the doctor.
- You should avoid consuming any hard foods for at least a day or two.
- Once you completely heal after about two days, you’ll be able to resume your regular activities. But you’ll still have to see your dentist after a week so they can check the progress and make sure there are no other complications.
- Following that, you should continue observing oral hygiene habits. Brush your teeth at least twice a day using a dentist-recommended toothpaste. Floss your teeth carefully. Rinse your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash. And also go for all of your scheduled teeth cleaning appointments so that the dentist can routinely remove all accumulated plaque and tartar so you can avoid gum disease in the future.
Periodontal Treatment Cost
The osseous surgery periodontal treatment cost will depend on the extent of your gum disease and the amount of infected bone. The dentist will also have to observe whether you require bone grafts and to what extent. Based on all of those conditions, periodontal treatment cost can range from just $500 to $10,000. However, the periodontal treatment cost is often covered by insurance so you don’t have to worry about paying the entire thing on your own.
This place is great! Everyone is so kind and very professional. The dentist is awesome also. He takes the time to listen and gives you all the options with no pressure. They are also great with kids here. My 10 and 3 year old also do well when they come here. I highly recommend this place for anyone who wants great care for their teeth.
The entire office is very friendly. They go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. I really appreciated the extra time each Doctor took to review my medical history. Very gentle, kind and confident dental care.
I can’t say enough about my experience at this dental office! The entire staff was very friendly, from the second I walked in to the time I walked out. The doctor took the time to explain all that was going on, and he was very gentle in his approach which is what I like. Highly recommend this place!
Me and my wife had been looking for a new dentist and we finally found them. This group of people are great. Extremely courteous and good at what they do. I couldn’t be more pleased with our new dentists and would highly recommend them to anyone.
The staff was so friendly and helpful. You can tell they really care about their patients and love what they do. They all made the experience really easy & comfortable. Highly recommend!
Hadn’t been to the dentist in 3 years because I just didn’t like it… tried this one out. Very kind and professional staff, friendly, outgoing, made me feel welcome. Definitely would recommend this dentist
The office is very clean and my daughter loved the tv in the ceiling to watch while her work was being done. Thanks again to the staff and doctor for making her feel comfortable.
Great customer service from check in to check out! It was my daughter’s first dental appointment and the staff made her very comfortable!
The staff was very welcoming and friendly! Dr. Pattni explained my plan thoroughly and made sure I was comfortable during my treatment which I really appreciated. They also perform orthodontic work at affordable prices which is great because now I only have to go to one office for all of my dental needs. Not to mention the decor, ambiance, and state-of-the-art equipment is truly exceptional! Will definitely be coming back!